- 6 slices bacon, chopped (regular or thick cut)
- 1 – 2 TBSP butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup half and half or whole milk
- 1 cup of your favorite beer (I used a wheat beer)
- 1 TBSP Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 cups shredded cheddar jack blend
- Kosher salt, to taste
- In large saucepan, cook the bacon until crispy. Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain and set aside. Reserve bacon drippings in pan.
- Add the 1 or 2 TBSP butter to the reserved bacon drippings and allow to melt over med heat. Whisk in the flour. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add in the half and half, stirring while you add. Add in the beer and the Dijon mustard. Stir well. Allow mixture to come to a boil, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- Take off heat and whisk in the cheddar cheese blend and the paprika. Taste for salt and add as needed.
- Stir in reserved bacon. Serve with pretzels, crackers, and raw veggies.