Pork Chop Noodle Soup for Tomorrow -> Recipe below
- 3 bone-in pork chops (3/4-inch thick cut)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chicken broth (OR pork stock)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (unsalted)
- 1 red onion (diced)
- 4 carrots (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed )
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup rotini pasta
- 2 stalks celery (diced)
- Season pork chops with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chops and cook for about 4 minutes, until golden brown. Flip and cook 4 minutes more, until golden brown. Transfer chops to a plate and set aside.
- Pour half of chicken broth into pot, scraping all browned bits from bottom. Add remaining chicken broth, vegetable broth, onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Mix well and bring to a simmer. Add 1 quart water, thyme, basil, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Mix well and bring to a simmer. Add chops back to pot and return to simmer. Reduce heat and simmer for 90 minutes, stirring occasionally, being careful not to break up chops.
- Transfer chops to plate, trying not to break them up. Set aside to cool. Raise the heat and bring the soup to a boil. Add pasta and cook for about 12 minutes, until tender. When the chops are cool, pull them apart, discarding all the bones and fat. Add the meat back to soup and stir well. Taste for salt and pepper, and add if needed, before serving.